Hawk Servers

Making Police slightly faster and SWAT slightly slower

(This post was last modified: 23-01-2019, 12:24 PM by Remora.)

https://hawkservers.co/showthread.php?tid=4404 - i've made it in the past, and it was closed, but i feel like the suggestion was misinterpreted as "make both police and SWAT even faster than they already are".

It was created to make police (specifically the Police, Police Chief and Officer Shark jobs) faster and SWAT (specifically SWAT, SWAT General, Heavy Armed SWAT, SWAT Sniper and police custom jobs) slower, to mechanically enforce their roles as "arrester and patroller" (police) and "raider and defender" (SWAT).

SWAT has superior equipment to police. Which is fair, because they're supposed to. But, realistically, shouldn't all that extra gear slow them down when compared to the police officers with much lighter equipment?

It's evident in what job gets played more (hint: it's SWAT); players need more incentive to play as police officer instead.

This incentive is the ability to more effectively arrest lawbreakers and patrol (more effectively than SWAT, specifically).

Right now all cops are 10% faster than all criminals. My request is to make SWAT 5% faster than all criminals and police officers 15% (or, if you're feeling generous, 20%) faster than all criminals.

My actual suggestion, and the TL : DR;
Make police officers, not SWAT, slightly faster than they already are; make SWAT slightly slower (but still faster than criminals).

do you still wanna double/half the bonus movement speed, or just change the flat numbers? because i think it would be better to first know what the bonus is before suggesting changes to better balance it. although i do agree with the whole swat being slower due to their gear thing. +rep
~ Hating something popular doesn't make you an interesting person. 

I feel neutral because it might be hard to implement and might take alot of adjustments.

(This post was last modified: 23-01-2019, 12:23 PM by Remora.)

(23-01-2019, 12:11 PM)Exhility Wrote: do you still wanna double/half the bonus movement speed, or just change the flat numbers? because i think it would be better to first know what the bonus is before suggesting changes to better balance it. although i do agree with the whole swat being slower due to their gear thing. +rep
I'm not sure what the exact values are, but the speed boost feels very small.
I tested them out with a stopwatch just now;
Police goes through the first long tunnel at spawn in 7 seconds, normal jobs do it in 7.7 seconds, meaning a speed boost of about 10% for police at the moment. 15% / 5% (for officers and SWAT, respectively) seems fair?
In chases 10% also feels very small - it takes a long time to close distance with the person.

Cops are just in a pretty shitty place as a whole right now, so i'd rather have the patrol part specifically be slightly faster to be able to catch up to people more easily (and get around the map to see crimes faster in general).

The most important part of this suggestion, though, is that SWAT become slower than the police officers, so that there's a reason to play officers over SWAT.

(23-01-2019, 12:17 PM)Remora Wrote: Cops are just in a pretty shitty place as a whole right now, so i'd rather have the patrol part specifically be slightly faster to be able to catch up to people more easily (and get around the map to see crimes faster in general).

The most important part of this suggestion, though, is that SWAT become slower than the police officers.

The police and government jobs seem really neglected and unused. Might be a good idea

The current bonus would imply that the distance that requires a criminal to run for 10 seconds, requires a police to run for 9. It might not seem all that much, but in reality it is, unless the police starts very far away. I don't really see the movement speed as a problem for police, as chasing generally isn't something that gives criminals an edge in the current state of the game. Most the time criminals turn and shoot instead of running. Either way, increasing the speed by 10% or 15% wouldn't do any harm, so I'm neutral on the matter.

(23-01-2019, 08:15 PM)Arvid115 Wrote: The current bonus would imply that the distance that requires a criminal to run for 10 seconds, requires a police to run for 9. It might not seem all that much, but in reality it is, unless the police starts very far away. I don't really see the movement speed as a problem for police, as chasing generally isn't something that gives criminals an edge in the current state of the game. Most the time criminals turn and shoot instead of running. Either way, increasing the speed by 10% or 15% wouldn't do any harm, so I'm neutral on the matter.

10 seconds is a long time in something fast-paced like a chase where the chased person can turn around and use a gun anytime.
it's also important to take into account that the person chasing has to adjust to whereever the person being chased is going, meaning their reaction time is important, and still about 0.4 seconds at minimum, averaging about 0.7 seconds loss and 0.3 seconds difference, which is already a lot less.

Criminals like to waste as much of your time as possible by keeping the chase going as long as they're able to. They hardly ever end up shooting at you, because when they do, you get to shoot back at them.

Reaction time isn't really a question when you're further away, as long as you can react within 5 seconds you will be pretty much fine. There's no real jukes a criminal can make to somehow avoid the police.

I don't know which criminals you've been dealing with cause I've never seen a criminal wanting to waste a cops time. I think you're putting a bit too much assumption on criminals main goal being to troll people. They want to be done with the chase as fast as possible just to keep going back to making money. Not wasting someones time for the heck of it.

(23-01-2019, 08:43 PM)Arvid115 Wrote: Reaction time isn't really a question when you're further away, as long as you can react within 5 seconds you will be pretty much fine. There's no real jukes a criminal can make to somehow avoid the police.

I don't know which criminals you've been dealing with cause I've never seen a criminal wanting to waste a cops time. I think you're putting a bit too much assumption on criminals main goal being to troll people. They want to be done with the chase as fast as possible just to keep going back to making money. Not wasting someones time for the heck of it.

If you're further away then then the speed boost is "not that much", as you said before.

Do you play as cop often? People either holster their weapons immediately when asked or they run off with intention to troll.
There's very little to do on Hawk, so many bored people take to trolling instead.

Difference between being relatively close and far away. You don't need time to react since criminal movement in 9/10 cases is obvious.

I play as cop occasionally, can't say I do it a whole ton but definitely have been for many hours, and I don't believe I've seen it happen to me. Perhaps one of us is just lucky or unlucky, however you wish to see it. Anyways, rules can give police more power, just find a way in the rules to add more of a say for cops in case someone is running away. In my opinion, listening to police orders should be mandatory, in a scenario of a gun being pointed at them.